Eggplant & Quinoa Patties
Makes about 8 medium size patties
1 large eggplant (or 2 medium), peeled and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small onion (or 2 scallions), thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup of cooked quinoa
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional flour (your choice)
If you desire to keep this recipe flourless and your pattie is too soft feel free to add almond meal or oat flour to the mix.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large (preferable non-stick) skillet over medium-high heat,
add onion and salt and saute’ for 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and saute’ for 1 further minute, until fragrant.
2. Finally add eggplant cubes and saute’ - stirring every now and then - until browned and soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Transfer to a large bowl and puree/mash with an immersion blender (you can also use a food processor or a blender to do this)
4. Add quinoa, parsley, black pepper and stir until well combined.
If you feel it needs flour you can add it in now - ¼ cup at a time and mix with your hands until it reaches a firm consistency and will hold up as patties.
5. Transfer mixture to the refrigerator or freezer for 20 minutes to allow the batter to suck up some of the moisture.
6. Take the bowl out of the refrigerator and with dampened hands form 8 medium size patties (or 4 larger ones).
7. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet you used before over medium-high heat.
8. When sizzling, add patties (in batches if necessary) and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until browned.
9. Serve warm with some marinara sauce on the side.
Note: These patties keep well frozen.