Zucchini and Millet Casserole
My favorite go to vegetable this summer are Zucchinis. Light, low in calories and the variety of recipes you can make from this one vegetable are endless. From spaghetti zoodles, to baked, to sauteed, to cakes and brownies. This vegetable has it all!
I wanted to make a dish that can pair well with a meat and so this casserole combo was created.
Both Millet and Zucchini are popular in the nutrition world as being healthy and loaded with nutrients. Pair them together and it's a Super-Meal!
5 zucchini, grated
1 large onion, chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cups cooked Millet (approximately 1.5 cups dry will be enough)
1/2 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cheddar, grated
½ cup milk
¼ cup GF one-to-one Flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
Fresh parsley for garnish
1. Cook the Millet.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. While the millet cooks, grate the zucchini and cheese and add to a large mixing bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of each cheese for the top.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook the onions and garlic, stirring, until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add to the zucchini mixture when done.
5. When the millet is cooked, add to the zucchini mixture along with the flour, milk, eggs, salt, and white pepper. Stir well to combine.
6. Add to a buttered 8x11 inch pan, or you could also use a 9x13 inch pan (the casserole will just be a little thinner and may cook quicker). Sprinkle the casserole with the reserved grated cheese and add to the oven.
7. Cook for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is browning and bubbly. Remove and sprinkle with fresh herbs to garnish.